|Heidi launching fireworks from our kayak July 4th!|
The support sent our way is phenomenal - we are so grateful.
Occasionally, we get a well-meaning response that is not helpful and can actually be discouraging. So I thought I'd list out some of the statements best avoided if someone you know is still fighting their cancer. How do you know if they are still 'fighting'? If they are getting cancer treatment or followups, they are still fighting.
Here are 10 things that your friends battling cancer probably don't need to hear:
- 'We all have to die some day' ..thanks for the reminder
- 'You must have eaten the wrong thing to get cancer' ..great, now I feel guilty
- 'If you just use this supplement/eat this food, you'll be cured' ..yeah right
- 'Just accept it and get your affairs in order' ..a bit premature, don't ya think?
- ' I feel sorry for you because I had a friend who died of cancer' ..please share survivor stories instead!
- 'If your faith was stronger, you wouldn't need doctors' ..so God's out to get me?
- 'You must have sinned - ask God's forgiveness' ..so God's really out to get me?
- 'You can't lose - if you die, you get to enjoy Heaven sooner' ..eternity can wait a little longer!
- 'Thanks to hospice, death is no longer painful' ..ouch!
- 'Don't worry, you'll be just fine' ..at least check my prognosis in case it is dismal - but I must admit, I myself am guilty of saying this one to others!
- 'What can I do to help?'
- 'I'm thinking of you'
- 'I'm praying for you'
But you know what? Someone that has shown they care can say ANYTHING and we know it's from the heart.
As always, thanks so much for your support!